4 May 2013

And Then, A Demonstration….

So there I wuz, watching the telly-tube, as you do, when the advertisements came on, as they do.

I was riveted by an advert for a cure for toe nail fungal infection.  This fungi, the advert helpfully told me, can be unsightly for ladies.  I can imagine this to be so, especially if wearing sandals.  However, if you wear sandals and smoke a pipe, then I also imagine the pipe would detract from your fungal infested toe nails.  But that’s another story.

What grabbed my attention, immediately after the application of their cream to a fungi nail, was the little animation of a bunch of blue jellybean boys busily pushing the fungal lookin’ stuff off the nail.

And?  And then my attention was doubly grabbed when I took in the words, bottom left, of the animation/cartoon.  {Screen grabbing shot below.}  Oh, sorry, almost forgot the words.  The words wot was written there where,  ‘Demonstration only’.

Is this where we’re at?  Someone, somewhere decided we’d better be told that a cartoon of a bunch of blue jellybean boys is for ‘Demonstration only’?  Are there really folk out there who would see this advert and, without those words, buy some and later complain ‘cos there weren’t  any little blue jellybean boys in their tube?  

Can you imagine the rejoinder from the shop? “Let’s see your tube. Ah, here’s your problem. See there? You’ve squeezed the tube too hard and squashed the little guys. Sorry, no refund.”  I shacks ma heed. I really do.
NailPlease feel free to click on the image – I believe it gets smaller.

Quote;  Kenneth Koch.

“Certainly, it seems true enough that there's a good deal of irony in the world... I mean, if you live in a world full of politicians and advertising, there's obviously a lot of deception.”

4 comments:

Ripper said...

The advert came on just as I was reading this. What I find fascinating is the women at the end, walking around with superbright blue LEDs on one shoe.

Mac said...

You're right! what's that all about? You think the shoe has a sound box as well that squeaks out, 'Fung-i! Fung-i! with each step?

Ripper said...

Haha! I'm sure it does.. you would think they would want to keep such an embarrassing problem quiet wouldn't you? Thank god there are no blue LEDs in the Vagisil commercial!

Mac said...

Or Andrex for that matter.... Although,for that, would it be a slight improvement?