18 Aug 2010

And Then There Was A Different Take-away….

In town today to cancel a mobile phone account. I was quietly confident that it would give me material for this place for weeks to come.

I entered the shop with loins girded ready for verbal combat.

Guess wot? It was the quickest and easiest thing I can remember doing.
”I would like to cancel this account rather than renew it, on the date it’s due for renewal please.”
Now I’m ready for them.
”Okay. In two weeks you will get a pay-as-you-go SIM card, call this number and it’s over. If you want to use the new card you keep your phone number. Anything else?”
”Er..no, no that’s all. Thanks.”

And right next door to the phone shop was a pork shop selling all manner of cooked pork and, of course, chickens. Guess what else they had on sale? Right at the front of the display area, you know, the area you breath and cough on? Right there were two BIG dishes of cooked{?} liver in gravy with bacon, sausage and onions. This was available in small and large foil containers to take-away. I repeat, to take away.

Can you believe that? Liver, bacon, sausage and onions to take away? What’s happening to us? How sad can we get? Are people completely nuts? They sell this stuff? I mean, what's going on here? There were no mashed potatoes for crying out loud!!

I settled for a small helping. I’ll let you know what it was like tomorrow. If nothing appears here within the next couple of days all I can say is, DON’T TOUCH THE LIVER.


Quote; John Mortimer.

"I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There's no pleasure worth foregoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward."

3 comments:

Caratacus said...

It's at times like this I am grateful for being a vegetarian! See - a life of self-denial and a vegetable diet and you too could have a body like mine. If you're not careful... (kof)

Incidentally, thank you so much for the "Blind Date". Kept me going all day. Laughed so hard I joined in at one point.

Mac said...

Nice to know someone got a smile out of it. It's also important, at times, to remember to 'keep clenched'.

Mac said...

As a furhter note, although not a vegetarian myself, I do appreciate the fact that our bodies are our temples. However, sadly{?} at some point now lost in the mists of time, I must’ve dedicated my temple to the gods of excess.